Family photos are priceless. No need to explain how important they are. Babies grow and all we are left with is the sweet memories and photographs.
Getting everyone ready for a photo session might be overwhelming. But truly, one of the most important and main things that you have to think about is outfits.
The thoroughly combined family look can either contribute to the photo outcome or significantly lower the final perception. Sometimes we can not even say why we do not like something. And very often it was a poor choice of outfits (too tight, too busy, too bright).
Combining outfits for the whole family is really the only thing you should work on when preparing for a photo session. And the photographer will take care of everything else.
Moreover, I always offer consultation, advice, and assistance in combining and choosing the most suitable clothing.
Here are the 7 ideas for family photography outfits (or what to wear for family photos):
- Check out the background colours. Is your photo session at the studio? Or at the beach? Or at the park? Choose complementary to the background colours but not completely the same. You don’t want to get lost.
- No logos or busy patterns. You may choose some patterns for one outfit but go with solid colours for others then.
- Layers add interest. Not only you can create a completely different look using layers but they also add texture which is great.
- Keep the same style for everyone. This one is really important for a nice balanced look.
- Choose complementary colours rather than the exact same. However, different tones, shades, or textures will work great to differentiate outfits if you choose the same colour.
- Keep it simple. It’s not about creating a magazine cover photo. It’s about capturing special moments for your family. So simple and comfortable is the key.
- Now, this is the most important. Choose whatever you are comfortable in, what truly represents you. Something that you can comfortably move around with and play with your kids. At the end of the day, it’s about your family and you definitely want to recognize yourself many years later.
Look how this mom-to-be wonderfully worked with layers to achieve different looks while wearing the same jeans overall.
Here are some ideas for family outfits and looks for outdoor family photo sessions.
For studio family and newborn sessions, neutral colours always work great. Below check out the possible outfits and colours choices for the studio family sessions.
Choosing outfits for a photo session is worth working on and investing your time into. But remember to keep it nice and simple. Your positive attitude and trust between you and the photographer are much more important. It’s really something that’s required for capturing beautiful and sincere portraits of your family.